spatch·cock ˈspaCHˌkäk/
noun
- 1.a chicken or game bird split open and grilled.
- 2. lunch or dinner!
I know you're thinking......what the hell is a spatchcocked chicken? I first saw this technique on the popular BBQ Pitmaster's TV show. And since I'm always looking for new things to try on the grill I decided today was the day! In the past I've tried the stand-up beer-can chicken recipes....but today I would try to spatchcock (butterfly) my chicken and lay it flat on the grill.
The problems with grilling whole chickens are similar to the problems with roasting whole chickens. Firstly, getting the entire oddly-shaped beast to cook evenly is a chore, particularly because breast meat shouldn't be cooked past 150-160°F if you want any moisture left in it, while leg meat needs to be cooked to 165°F or beyond (that is, if you don't like eating pink chicken). Secondly, getting fatty chicken skin to render both its fat and moisture so that it can crisp up properly—and more importantly stay crisp—requires a bit of acrobatics.
By butterflying the bird and pressing it out flat, the legs and thighs become the most exposed part of the chicken. They pretty much automatically cook faster than the breast meat, meaning that you can get both breast and leg meat that's finished cooking—and therefore at its juiciest—at the exact same time.
So.....basically, after making all the initial cuts and butterflying the bird it was time for the grill. Don't forget to throw some seasoning on the bird. I use the Pork Barrel BBQ all-purpose rub for my poultry. I arranged my Weber Kettle for a 2-zone fire (hot coals on one side of grill) and placed the chicken flat (skin-side up!) on the indirect heat side of the grate. I also threw some chunks of apple wood on the coals to help smoke the meat for the next 2.5 hours. Grill temp ranged from 350-450 degrees. The last 15 minutes - if you want crispy skin - is to turn over the chicken (skin side down) and put it directly over the coals. Easy and delicious!


No comments:
Post a Comment