Yes....I love BBQ. But, the first stop on any of my road trips is a new brewery. This past summer my wife and I spent a lot of time drinking.....and also discovered two absolutely great BBQ restaurants here in the Northeast. I know....I know.....good BBQ is hard to find if you're not in the South or Midwest. But, damn! These two places knocked our socks off!
On our travels up to Cooperstown, NY we just happened to discover Brooks' House of Bar-B-Q in Oneonta, NY (20 minutes south of the Baseball HOF). The parking lot was packed. The line of people waiting for a seat inside was coming out the front door (with 3 rows of people snaked around the inside of the lobby). We opted to order from the takeout window and eat at the picnic area outside. Good choice! Or we would've been waiting a while!
I snooped around behind the restaurant to find the "kitchen" and smoke house. Inside this building I snapped a pic of all the bbq chicken resting over cinderblock pits. It's almost hard to fathom the amount of food that goes through here every day. Chicken. Ribs. Brisket. Pork. I had a little of everything in my platter.....and they have some of the BEST spicy BBQ sauce I've ever tasted! Mmmmm.....good!
Just an hour south of where we live in Pennsylvania there is Andy Nelson's BBQ. Founded by former Baltimore Colts safety and Super Bowl winner Andy Nelson, it is known for it's hickory smoked BBQ. Regularly voted "Baltimore's Best BBQ" by the staff and readers of Baltimore Magazine and the City Paper, this is one "Q" you won't want to miss.
The restaurant itself is easy to miss when you're passing through in rush hour traffic. It's pretty much the epitome of a dive (small, old school charm, and a large pig on the roof!). They actually bought the auto garage next door for additional outdoor seating during the warmer months. We managed to squeeze inside the restaurant and eat some delicious BBQ....with the highlights being the dry rub ribs and baked beans!






No comments:
Post a Comment