Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Beer Brats...I Love You!


A quick trip to the store over the weekend.....and I had all the ingredients ready to serve me a damn fine dinner!  You just can't go wrong with brats and kraut....soaked in beer!  It's also very easy to make even if you are a grilling newbie!


I bought the Smithfield Yuengling Lager bratwurst ($5).  What goes great with Yuengling Lager bratwurst?  MORE Yuengling Lager!  So I concocted a beer mixture similar to the one on the Weber BBQ Blog (one can of beer, brown sugar, horseradish mustard, ground coriander, onion powder, sauerkraut) and brought it to a boil in a small aluminum pan on the grill.


Unbeknownst to me....there is a great beer brat debate!  There are many who advocate soaking the brats in the beer mixture first and then throwing them directly on the grill afterwards.  Others adhere to grilling the brats first and then giving them a beer bath.  The logic?  By grilling the brats first, you get rid of some of the fat.  Throwing them in the beer afterwards allows the beer to soak in replacing the areas voided by the fat.


After 10 minutes on the grill (turning only once!), I threw my brats into the beer & kraut mixture for 15 minutes.  Starving at this point, I threw those babies on rolls and loaded them up with the kraut.  I was ready for one fine dining experience!


*** NOTE TO SELF - next time buy rolls that aren't 10x's bigger than the damned brat!  No doubt
       there's plenty of room for more kraut!

No comments:

Post a Comment